The University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine’s Maddie’s® Shelter Medicine Course invites all shelter veterinarians, shelter professionals, vet students, and community members to join them for their series of free webinars this semester:
This lecture series not only discusses concepts key to sheltering but also helps veterinary students, shelter professionals and volunteers, and members of the community reflect on current challenges and solutions for saving lives of homeless animals.
The lectures will introduce you to guest speakers who are leaders in the field of shelter medicine. The goal of the knowledge gained is to raise awareness of animal shelters, animal health, and community programs to help save lives of homeless animals.
We invite non-credit students, shelter staff and volunteers, and members of the community to participate in lectures in person or online.
Most of our presentations for the course will be webcast live as well as recorded and posted online. Please contact Shelter Medicine Program Manager Stephanie Koester at firstname.lastname@example.org with any technical questions about logging in to webcasts or for non-credit participants attending in person.
The webinar schedule, which includes recorded as well as live sessions, is as follows (all past dates will be available as archived recordings):
- Archived: Kitten Nurseries with Dr. Jennifer Broadhurst
- Archived: Shelter Directors Panel on Working With Veterinarians
- Thursday, Feb. 4, noon-1 PM Central: Fast Tracking and Capacity for Care with Dr. Sandra Newbury
- Monday, Feb. 8, 6-8 PM Central: Shelter Enrichment Programs with Aimee Sadler
- Thursday, Feb. 11, noon-1 PM Central: Managed Intake with Dr. Cindy Karsten
- Thursday, Feb. 18, noon-1 PM Central: Discussion with Dr. Sandra Newbury
- Thursday, Feb. 25, noon-1 PM Central: HSUS Pets for Life with Amanda Arrington
- Thursday, March 3, noon-1 PM Central: The Veterinarian’s Role in Animal Cruelty Cases with Dr. Lila Miller
- Thursday, March 10, noon-1 PM Central: Breed Specific Legislation with Dr. Gary Patronek
- Thursday, March 24, noon-1 PM Central: PAWS Chicago – Working Toward a No-Kill Community with Paula Fasseus
- Thursday, April 7, noon-1 PM Central: Adoption Readiness – In-Shelter care Prior to Adoption with Dr. Becky Stuntebeck
- Thursday, April 21, noon-1 PM Central: Canine Distemper – A Year of Outbreaks with Dr. Sandra Newbury
- Thursday, April 28, noon-1 PM Central: Final Discussion Section with Dr. Sandra Newbury
Live webcasts can be viewed at http://live.videos.med.wisc.edu a few minutes before the session is scheduled to begin. At that time, the ‘Shelter Medicine Elective’ live stream will become active, and you can select it from the ‘Live Events’ section to join.
The University of Wisconsin Maddie’s Shelter Medicine Course is underwritten by a grant from Maddie’s Fund®, helping to fund the creation of a no‑kill nation.
Don’t miss the rest of our great content — sign up here!