This post originally ran in December 2019 during the Foster Express Challenge period. These resources are a great jumping off point to start or expand your foster offerings.
Whether you are participating in our Foster Express Challenge or simply thinking about offering a holiday fostering program, we have everything you need to get you started!
Holiday fostering is a gift for everyone. The dog or cat gets to experience a fun day out or simply is able to nap in a warm and cozy home. Shelters benefit from having a quieter space (which the pets left at the shelter also enjoy!) and fewer pets to care for. And the foster caregivers get to have a pet for a little while (and may even end up adopting!)
If you’d like even more information, we have you covered! Here are just a few resources:
- Study: Do shelter dogs benefit from short-term foster sleepovers? | Chew On This
- Study: Can foster field trips improve welfare in dogs? | Chew On This
- Want a silent night at your animal shelter this season? Try holiday fostering | Chew On This
- Foster Care Resources page for new and/or existing programs
- Maddie’s® University Course: Introduction to Short-Term Foster and Field Trips
- Foster Care Flash Classes
- Webcast: Foster Sleepovers: How Temporary Fostering Can Improve the Lives of Shelter Dogs
- Webcast: Foster Field Trips: A Gateway to Community Engagement in Getting Pets Adopted
- Assessment of Short-Term Foster Care Programs in Shelter Animals
- Follow #FosterExpressChallenge on Instagram for more ideas!