With the Open Arms Challenge kicking off next month, the Maddie’s® Pet Forum resource drive for March is focused on welcoming practices. We know that making changes to your organization’s existing practices can sometimes be challenging, so the goal with this resource drive is to share and learn from others who have made changes or help those who are hoping to make specific changes to intentionally connect with all areas of your community.
As always, everyone who uploads a file, shares a resource on this thread or replies with information or questions about welcoming practices during the month of March 2023 will be entered to win a $50 gift card to Amazon, Petco or PetSmart (winner’s choice). Your contributions will also make you eligible for the $3,000 monthly grant giveaway on Maddie’s® Pet Forum!
What are welcoming practices?
The goal of incorporating welcoming practices is to increase inclusivity and provide a welcoming environment for all staff (paid and unpaid) and community members; and keeping pets with people when possible. What that looks like is different for every organization. It can be as simple as returning voicemails in a timely manner, providing literature in multiple languages or completely rewriting or doing away with the adoption application, to undertaking bias training or choosing new neighborhoods for adoption events.
You can look at welcoming practices and programs to ensure:
- Processes are equitable and inclusive
- Customer success is ensured through customer service
- Marketing is inclusive of all areas of your community
- Organization embraces an open and welcoming culture
- Organization creates partnerships with organizations
How to Participate in this Resource Drive?
1. Upload or Share examples of changes you’ve made to be more welcoming and inclusive of your community on this thread
2. Reply with a request for a specific resource you NEED or a question related to welcoming practices
What Should You Share?
- Have you translated any of your organization’s materials? Tell us what that experience was like, what tools you used and attach the handout or file to this thread!
- Training resources you used to address bias or learn more about welcoming practices
- Tell us about how you recruited your volunteers or staff and how do you keep them engaged
- Have you updated any policies to be more inclusive? Tell us about the changes you made and which members of your community you focused your efforts on.